Wednesday 3 July 2013

On my obsession with shopping.

So I'm just going to come out and say it. I have a problem, I shop too much. Now don't read this wrong, I'm not in debt and I certainly wouldn't put myself in debt for clothes. I just can't really move around my room as easily anymore. Most of the clothes and shoes I buy are from car-boot sales and charity shops. I also love vintage shops but they're a little out of my price range sometimes. I always head straight to the sale racks and the bargain bins. I'm addicted to bargains! I love Asian fashion so a lot of my monies goes to eBay. I think eBay loves me, I really do.

Nothing I buy is expensive and I do try to be ethical and not buy from the high street. I will try to re-make stuff I get bored with or take them back to the charity shop. I've heard that this isn't always good either but I feel it must be better than just throwing stuff away. I also enjoy occasionally selling things on eBay and I'm itching to try out a car-boot sale (mostly so I can just spend what I've earned right then and there). My favourite thing though must be pile parties, or clothes swaps whatever you call them. You bring your old clothing (the nice stuff not your ratty old undies) and everyone puts their stuff in a pile. Then you quite literally dive in and aggressively steal all the clothes......oh? Only me? But seriously, it's a brilliant way to pass on unwanted clothes and also find yourself some lovely bits.

People will talk about loving clothes as something that's shallow and frivolous. Firstly what's wrong with being frivolous? Secondly why is it shallow to want to express yourself through your clothing? I'm not saying everyone who loves fashion and clothing does this but many do. I do! I love playing with clothes, playing dress up is one of the many childlike things I still enjoy in my adult life. My clothes and my shoes have taken over my room much like my toys did as a child.

I have collected clothes from every country and city I have travelled to. They are daily reminders and souvenirs of who I am and where I've been. When I look in the mirror I feel happy. It makes me feel comfortable and confident in taking on daily life when my outside better matches my inside. People do stare at me, even in London. It doesn't surprise me as I currently have multi coloured hair, a face full of piercings and arms slowly becoming completely covered in tattoos. I don't mind being stared at but if you think for one second that I'm doing this for anyone other than me, then you are sorely mistaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.